Bacon Smoked Mac and Cheese
1:45 - Prep 0:45 / Cook 1:00
Mac and Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups fully cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled bacon
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- handful apple wood chunks
1. Preheat your smoker to 225°F.
2. In a large cooking pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Then add the flour and whisk for 5 minutes to make a roux.
Hot TipRoux is made from equal parts of flour and fat and used as a thickening agent, providing the base for a dish. Other ingredients are added after the roux is complete.
3. Add milk and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. Add all 3 cheeses and black pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes until the cheese is completely melted. Then add the cooked macaroni and crumbled bacon.
4. Transfer the mixture to a large aluminum foil pan and top with a thin layer of bread crumbs.
5. Place the pan in your smoker and toss a few wood chunks onto hot coals for smoking. Smoke for 1 hour at 225°F.
6. Remove the Bacon Smoked Mac and Cheese from your smoker, top with chopped chives and serve.
Made This Recipe?
Click the stars to rate it.