Beef Armadillo Eggs
1:30 - Prep 0:30 / Cook 1:00
Rich and gooey cream-cheese-stuffed jalapeños get the Texas BBQ treatment in our Beef Armadillo Eggs recipe. Wrapped in juicy, sweet and savory ground beef, then wrapped again in a layer of crispy BBQ-brushed bacon, these meaty jalapeño-popper-inspired treats combine robust flavors, layers of satisfying textures and just the right amount of wood-fired smokiness and heat.
This recipe was created by our partner, Derek Wolf @overthefirecooking who made the dish on our Bronco Drum Smoker, but you can make it on your grill or smoker.
- 24 ounces cream cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons BBQ rub
- 5 fresh jalapeños, cored & seeded
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 16-24 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup BBQ rub
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
1. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, shredded cheese and BBQ rub.
2. Add mixture to a gallon storage bag and set aside.
3. Wearing gloves, slice jalapeños in a “T” shape, leaving the stem on. Use a spoon to core the pepper, keeping the stem intact.
4. Cut the corner of the gallon bag and squeeze cream cheese mixture into cored jalapeños.
5. Wrap the peppers with ground beef, ensuring each one is completely covered.
6. Wrap each armadillo egg with 2 to 3 slices of bacon; season with BBQ rub and set aside.
7. Preheat your smoker to 250°F and toss in some wood chips for added flavor.
8. When heated, place the armadillo eggs on the hot grate and cook until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F, using an instant-read thermometer, about 45 to 60 minutes.
9. After 30 minutes, set a basting skillet with BBQ Sauce on the grate to warm.
10. Glaze armadillo eggs with BBQ sauce during the last 10 to 15 minutes and cook until the sauce caramelizes.
11. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
Hot TipGiving your meat the time it needs to rest allows juices to redistribute, retaining moisture for tender meat. The internal temperature will continue to rise 10 to 15 degrees until it levels out and then begins to fall.
Made This Recipe?
Click the stars to rate it.