Rum Smoked Salmon
17:00 - Prep 9:00 / Cook 8:00
Smoked salmon. Flaky, delicious and gone way too fast.
- 1.5 - 2 pound salmon fillet
- 2 cups dark rum
- seven-grain bread
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- handful apple or cherry wood chunks
- fresh dill
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup salt
1. Place the salmon skin side up in a glass baking pan with 2 cups of dark rum. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Combine the cure ingredients into a bowl by mixing with your fingers to break up any lumps.
3. Drain the salmon and discard the rum. Spread the cure over the salmon so it is completely covered and store in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
4. Preheat your smoker to 150°F.
5. Rinse the salmon in cold water and then pat dry with paper towels.
6. Place the salmon in your smoker and toss a few apple or cherry wood chunks onto hot coals. Smoke for 8 hours at 150°F.
7. Remove the salmon from your smoker and serve with grilled seven-grain bread, sour cream, sliced red onions, capers and fresh dill.
Made This Recipe?
Click the stars to rate it.