Smoked Apple Pie
1:50 - Prep 0:20 / Cook 1:30
- 2 pie crusts, store-bought or homemade
- 6 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1-inch thick wedges
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- > turbinado or raw sugar (optional)
- 1-2 apple wood chunks
1. Preheat your smoker to 350°F. Toss wood chunks onto hot coals.
2. In a large bowl, combine apple wedges, brown sugar, lemon juice, orange zest, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Add butter to melt in a large skillet over medium heat.
4. Transfer apple mixture to the heated skillet. Cook until the apples are slightly soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
5. Lay one of pie crusts across the bottom of a large skillet. Pour apple filling over the dough. Lay the other crust over the pie filling. Seal the edges of the top and bottom crusts together to secure the filling inside.
6. Whisk the egg yolk and brush it over the top layer of crust. Cut slits into the crust to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle with sugar.
7. Place the apple pie in your smoker. Cook until golden, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
8. Remove pie from smoker. Let rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Made This Recipe?
Click the stars to rate it.