Smoked Shrimp Tacos
2:25 - Prep 0:40 / Cook 1:45
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3-4 cherry or alder wood chunks
- 12-15 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 small red onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Black Bean Chili
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 (19-ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 pickling or Mason jar
1. Place onion slices in a pint-size pickling jar. In a small saucepan, combine water, vinegar and salt and bring to a boil; then pour the liquid into the jar. Close the jar and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
2. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with ground coriander, chili powder, black pepper and salt until evenly coated. Set aside in the refrigerator.
3. Preheat your smoker to 275°F and toss a few wood chunks onto hot coals.
4. In a preheated cast-iron skillet, cook the onions, bell peppers, jalapeños and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 15 minutes. Add the chipotle peppers and chili powder. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato, black beans, ketchup and brown sugar. Boil for a few minutes.
5. Place chili in the smoker. Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
6. After 1 hour, place shrimp on the grates next to the chili. Smoke until fully cooked, about 15 to 25 minutes.
7. Remove chili and shrimp from the smoker.
8. Assemble each taco on a corn tortilla with a scoop of black bean chili and 3 to 4 shrimp. Top with queso fresco, pickled onions and cilantro.
Made This Recipe?
Click the stars to rate it.