1:15 - Prep 0:15 / Cook 1:00
- 1 (2-3 pound) tri-tip roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- > pecan or hickory wood chunks
BEER BASTING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Preheat smoker to 225°F. Toss a few wood chunks onto hot coals.
2. Brush tri-tip roast with olive oil on both sides.
3. Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and rosemary in a small bowl. Then sprinkle onto both sides of the tri-tip.
4. In a medium-size saucepan, combine beer, olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, paprika, Dijon mustard and white pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes and set aside.
5. Place tri-tip roast in your smoker. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 110°F on an instant-read thermometer, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Brush with basting sauce every 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Preheat the gas grill unit to 500°F.
7. Transfer roast from smoker to gas grill for a reverse sear, about 2 to 4 minutes per side. Continue to baste with sauce while grilling.
8. Remove roast from grill and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Made This Recipe?
Click the stars to rate it.