Smoked and Shredded Chicken Taco Recipe
1:20 - Prep 0:20 / Cook 1:00
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 whole chicken (3-5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 apple or cherry wood chunks
- 3 cups water
- 2 tomatillos
- 2 guajillo peppers
- 1 pasilla chile
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove
Pico de Gallo
- 6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, partially seeded and chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- > fresh cilantro
- > lime wedges
- > hot sauce
1. Preheat your smoker to 275°F and toss wood chunks onto hot coals for smoking.
2. Using meat shears or a sharp knife, remove the backbone from the chicken. Then, cut through the breastbone from the inside so the chicken can lay flat like an open book. Brush both sides with olive oil.
3. Combine paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin in a small bowl. Sprinkle the dry rub on both sides of the chicken.
4. Place chicken on hot grates. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
5. In a medium-size saucepan, add water and bring to a boil. Add tomatillos, guajillo peppers, pasilla chiles, onion and garlic. Boil for 10 minutes. Transfer boiling liquid to a food processor and pulse to a semi-liquid paste.
6. Remove the chicken from your smoker and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
8. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Set aside.
9. Assemble each taco with shredded chicken, pico de gallo and your favorite toppings.
Made This Recipe?
Click the stars to rate it.